Henry S. Parmelee Award Call for Nominations
The American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA) is accepting nominations for the prestigious Henry S. Parmelee award. The award will be presented during AFSA’s 35th Convention & Exhibition in Nashville, Tennessee, and the recipient will be featured in the 2016 convention issue of Sprinkler Age magazine. The nomination deadline is June 1, 2016.
The Henry S. Parmelee Award, AFSA’s highest honor, is given in recognition of an outstanding individual who has dedicated himself or herself to the professional advancement of the fire sprinkler industry and to the goal of fire safety through automatic sprinklers. Members of AFSA may nominate someone who has demonstrated a long-term commitment to improving the fire sprinkler industry. The award was instituted by AFSA in 1983 to give recognition to distinguished industry professionals and to memorialize Henry S. Parmelee, an outstanding pioneer in the fire sprinkler industry who is recognized as the inventor of the first commercially successful closed sprinkler.
Nominees do not need to be a member of AFSA to be eligible. Nominations must be submitted to AFSA via fax at (214) 343-8898, emailed to AFSA Executive Vice President Frank Mortl III at email@example.com, or mailed to: AFSA Parmelee Award, 12750 Merit Drive, Suite 350, Dallas, TX 75251. A letter stating the nominee’s name and contact information, and a brief statement of why he or she is deserving of this award is all that is required.
Things are Heating Up in Nashville! Take part in all the events surrounding this year’s convention, to be held September 14-17 at the Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center. AFSA will be celebrating its 35th anniversary with technical and managerial seminars, social events and a packed exhibit hall. See the award presentations to the 2016 Henry S. Parmelee and Fire Sprinkler Advocate of the Year recipients during the opening general session, and view the installation portion of the 23rd Annual National Apprentice Competition during the second day of exhibits on September 17. For more information on this year’s event, see page 22 of the March/April issue of Sprinkler Age or visit firesprinkler.org/convention. We plan to have a grand ole time in Nashville and look forward to seeing you there!
Henry S. Parmelee Award Past Recipients
- 1983 — John M. Rhodes, Factory Mutual Research
- 1984 — William J. Meyer, Central Sprinkler Corp.
- 1985 — C. B. Hall, American Automatic Sprinkler Co.
- 1986 — Harold L. Black, Central Fire Protection, Inc.
- 1987 — Edward J. Reilly, Ed Reilly Associates
- 1988 — Richard T. Groos, The Viking Corporation
- 1989 — Ron Coleman, Chief, Fullerton Fire Dept., CA
- 1990 — Frank J. Fee III, Reliable Automatic Sprinkler
- 1991 — Dr. John M. Bryan, University of Maryland School of Fire Protection Engineering
- 1992 — W. D. (Dave) Hilton, Chief, Cobb County Fire Dept., GA
- 1993 — J. Frank Riseden, AFSA President 1983-1991
- 1994 — Haden B. Brumbeloe, Publisher, FPC Magazine
- 1995 — Edward H. Smith, H.F.P. Corp.
- 1996 — Tom Waller, Viking Fire Protection of the SouthEast
- 1997 — Chester W. Schirmer, Schirmer Engineering
- 1998 — Tom Siegfried, Retired Chief, Altamonte Springs, FL
- 1999 — Donald D. Becker, Midland Automatic Sprinkler Co.
- 2000 — Robert L. McCullough, AllSouth Sprinkler Co. (awarded posthumously)
- 2001 — Buck Buchanan, Central Sprinkler Corporation
- 2002 — Frank M. Winiecki, General Sprinkler Corp.
- 2003 — Jack Viola, H.F.P. Corp.
- 2004 — Lowell Gillett, Fire Engineering Co., Inc. (retired)
- 2005 — Joe Hankins, FM Global (retired)
- 2006 — Art Cote, NFPA (retired)
- 2007 — Thomas T. Groos, Viking Corp.
- 2008 — Bill Corbin, Mutual Sprinklers, Inc.
- 2009 — Lloyd Ivy, AFSA Director of Membership 1986-2009 (retired)
- 2010 — Martin L. “Marty” Giles, VSC Fire & Security
- 2011 — Willie Templin, American Automatic Sprinkler, Inc.
- 2012 — Bob Rees, Sunland Fire Protection
- 2013 — Russ Leavitt, Telgian Corporation
- 2014 — James Golinveaux, Tyco Fire Protection Products
- 2015 — George Wagner, Worsham Sprinkler Company