Answers and Explanations
Here are the answers, with explanations, for the NFPA 13, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems, 2019 edition quiz that can be found on page 53 of this issue.
1. ESFR sprinklers have a minimum K-factor of ______.
c. K-14.0. Although ESFR sprinklers are allowed to be as small as K-11.2, the smallest actually available are K-14.0. Section 18.104.22.168: “CMSA and ESFR K-Factors. Control mode specific application (CMSA) and early suppression fast-response (ESFR) sprinklers shall have a minimum nominal K-factor of K-11.2 (160).” Also look at all the design criteria tables in chapter 23.
2. ____________ sprinklers shall be used only in wet pipe systems unless specifically listed for use in dry systems or preaction systems.
d. ESFR sprinkler. Section 14.2.2: “ESFR sprinklers shall be used only in wet pipe systems unless specifically listed for use in dry systems or preaction systems.”
3. True or False? ESFR sprinklers shall not be used in obstructed construction.
False. Section 14.2.4: “ESFR sprinklers shall be permitted for use in buildings with unobstructed or obstructed construction.”
4. What is required to space ESFR sprinklers closer than 8-ft apart?
d. Not allowed. Section 22.214.171.124: “Minimum Distance Between Sprinklers. Sprinklers shall be spaced not less than 8 ft (2.4 m) on center.”
5. For sway bracing assemblies, the listed load rating should include a minimum safety factor of ___ against the ultimate break strength of the brace components and then be further reduced according to the brace angles.
a. 2.2. Section A.126.96.36.199: “The listed load rating should include a minimum safety factor of 2.2 against the ultimate break strength of the brace components and then be further reduced according to the brace angles.”
6. When using the density/area design method for extra hazard occupancies, quick-response sprinklers are allowed to be used _________.
d. Never. Section 10.2.3: “Quick-response sprinklers shall not be permitted for use in extra hazard occupancies under the density/area design method.”
7. The RTI of a Quick-Response sprinkler is ___ (meter-second)1/2 or less.
b. 50. Section 188.8.131.52.16: “Quick-Response (QR) Sprinkler. A type of spray sprinkler that has a thermal element with an RTI of 50 (meter-seconds)1⁄2 or less and is listed as a quick-response sprinkler for its intended use.”
8. The RTI of a standard response sprinkler is ___
(meter-second)1/2 or more.
d. 80. Section 184.108.40.206* “General Sprinkler Characteristics. (b) Sprinklers defined as standard response have a thermal element with an RTI of 80 (meter-seconds)1⁄2 or more.”
9. All aboveground piping and attached appurtenances subjected to system working pressure shall be hydrostatically tested at 200 psi (14 bar) and shall maintain that pressure _____ for two hours.
d. Without loss. Section 220.127.116.11: “Unless permitted by 18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124, all piping and attached appurtenances subjected to system working pressure shall be hydrostatically tested at 200 psi (14 bar) and shall maintain that pressure without loss for two hours.”
10. When are sidewall sprinklers allowed to be installed
closer than 4 ft from light fixtures or similar
c. Either a or b. Section 10.3.6.1.2: “Sidewall sprinklers
shall not be installed less than 4 ft (1.2 m) from light
fixtures or similar obstructions unless the requirements
of 10.3.6.1.2.1 or 10.3.6.1.2.2 are met.”