2021 is a Good Year to Increase Awareness With New Resources
This year marks 25 years since the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition (HFSC) was founded by the American Fire Sprinkler Association (AFSA), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and National Fire Sprinkler Association (NFSA). HFSC continues to provide members of the fire service with free resources to educate and increase awareness about the life-saving benefits of home fire sprinklers via homefiresprinkler.org. This year HFSC will announce new innovative tools to support community outreach.
Save the Date: Home Fire Sprinkler Week (HFSW)
Building on last year’s successes, HFSC will be rolling out a fresh slate of free, creative assets that will simplify your participation the week of May 16-22, including:
• A brand new HFSW digital campaign to reach younger homebuyers with original illustrations and more that will help you emphasize the need for home fire sprinklers in your community.
• A new video to highlight the Green benefits of installing home fire sprinklers.
• HFSC is unveiling a new, powerful 3D and 360-degree “Home Fire Sprinkler Experience.” This exciting new virtual reality resource lets users personally understand how fire and deadly smoke quickly spread and experience the power of home fire sprinklers. Fire department educators will be the first in the nation to use this simulated side-by-side event.
• Assorted daily educational themes with companion graphics and prepared copy—just click and paste into your social media accounts to share
• And much more—stand by for event announcements.
A Smart Home Starts With Fire Sprinklers
HFSC will share important new findings from a national survey. The research illuminates the personal preferences of Millennials and other homebuyers about home buying, Smart technology, and Green living as well as home fire safety and interest in home fire sprinklers. HFSC will share the findings to help you educate homebuilders, developers, and officials in your jurisdiction.
In 2021, HFSC will enhance its homebuilder/developer incentive program to help even more local AHJs and fire department personnel reach out to local developers ahead of new home builds. This one action can result in fire sprinkler installations in hundreds of new homes. Watch for new HFSC resources and strategies.
Money for Local Outreach
A new stipend award program for Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs) will recognize fire department commitment to home fire sprinkler education with moneys earmarked to cover socially distanced educational outreach, such as:
• New virtual reality experience materials,
• Facebook Live events and advertising,
• Construction of a to-scale NFPA 13D, Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in One- and Two-Family Dwellings and Manufactured Homes, riser,
• Educational banners,
• “What do homebuyers know?” national survey findings, and
• Other creative fire service ideas!
What Can You Do Right Now?
Tap into HFSC’s free, turnkey content and make it yours. Upload it to your company website; post it on your social media accounts; share it with your local media; use it in your PowerPoint presentations.
Invite your AHJ friends to attend AFSA’s upcoming AHJ series webinar, “NFPA 13D and Significant Changes to the 2022 edition.” In the spirit of Home Fire Sprinkler Week, AFSA will offer this informative webinar on the requirements of NFPA 13D, 2019 edition and significant changes for the 2022 edition on Thursday, May 20 at 11:00 a.m. Central time free for AFSA members. Register online at firesprinkler.org/webinars.
For AHJs who are not current members, AFSA is offering a free 12-month trial offer for AHJs to try the many benefits of membership. Details at firesprinkler.org/trial.